Sunday, March 13, 2011

Arriving

After a very long trip I have finally made it to Çanakkale. I flew from Wellington to Auckland to Singapore (where my flight was delayed) then to Istanbul a total of 34hours travelling. Then I meet with a couple of very nice ladies from AFS who drove me the rest of way to Canakkale (5hours and then a ferry ride). I arrived in Çanakkale this afternoon where I finally met my host family who I will be living with for the next 6 weeks. They are a lovely family and I am very excited to be here. I am extremely tired, I slept a little on my flight to Istanbul but not enough. We are going out for dinner tonight and I think I am starting school tomorrow. I am a bit nervous about school considering I don't know any Turkish but hopefully it'll be fine. After a shower and some food I am feeling a lot better but still very tired. It is really cold here, I'm glad I bought lots of warm clothes.
___________________


A few pictures I took on my way to Çanakkale from Istanbul





________________




A war memorial









The women who brought me to Çanakkale, I think, told me there is a Turkish side and an Anzac side and, there is a figure of woman in the middle- a mother. I think it is in Eceabat but I'm not too sure, I was quite tired and don't remember the names of the places


________________




View from the ferry

No comments:

Post a Comment