Monday, April 25, 2011

ANZAC Day 2011

By 3am I was at the Kolin Hotel with everyone else who was going to ANZAC Day services at Gallipoli. We went on the VIP buses across to Gallipoli. We arrived at North Beach in time for the Spirit of Place ceremony where names were read of some of the New Zealand and Australian soliders that died. Then the Dawn Service began. I cannot describe the feeling of being at Gallipoli for the Dawn Service. It was unreal and extremely moving, I feel so privileged that I was able to be there. The wind was icy and I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers but I didn't care. After the Dawn Service we went and had some breakfast at a hotel. Then went to Lone Pine for the Australian Service. Afterwards was the Turkish 57th Regiment Memorial Service. Then we made our way to Chunuk Bair for the New Zealand Service, this was the best part of my day. It is an odd but great feeling standing on the land that my ancestors once stood on. It was very peaceful and it made me feel so much closer to my relatives that fought at Gallipoli. I cannot thank RNZRSA and AFS enough for this amazing experience, I am so grateful to have had this opportunity.This has been one of the most amazing days of my life and I will never forget it.





New Zealand, Australian and Turkish flags at the Dawn Service







The Australian Service at Lone Pine







Turkish Service







New Zealand Service at Chunuk Bair

1 comment:

  1. It great to hear you enjoyed the services. I look forward to catching up with you when you get back

    ReplyDelete