Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Weekend

I just had a very long but a great weekend. On Saturday I went to my little sister's academy like I do most Saturdays. This is where she does painting, piano and ballet. I've joined her painting class, the other kids are about 7. I left the academy early to meet up with two very nice boys, one is an AFS volunteer who is from Çanakkale. We walked over to a park where he had organised a pillow fight. I played for the first round but then I decided to sit out and watch. We also looked at the big wooden horse that they have in Çanakkale. It is in the Morabbin Park on the waterfront, the horse was made for the 2004 movie 'Troy'.



Me in front of the wooden horse






The Pillow Fight


Then we went to the Çanakkale Naval Museum. We got there a bit late so we had to look around everything quite quickly. It was really cool, there is little museum with things from WW1, like bullets and flags. There was a section for the Gallipoli Campaign. There were Australian badges found in the ground at Gallipoli. There was also a boat you go on that has a presentation about 18th March. It was in Turkish so I didn't understand what they were saying but there was a video showing the ships and the mines so I got the general gist of what happened. There is also a fortress. It was built my Sultan Mehmet in the 15th century. Around the grounds are mines and cannons on display from WW1.




Some bullets found at Gallipoli and a British flag that was taken by the Turkish




The Fortress






Afterwards we met up with my host family whose Harley Davidson friends had ridden Çanakkale from Istanbul for the weekend. We all went out for dinner, they are really lovely people and very funny. On Sunday we went to say goodbye to them but we ended up going for a ride with them, halfway to Istanbul. It was a lot of fun, I quite like being on the back of a motorbike. By the end of the weekend I was very tired but I had had a lot of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment