Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gallipoli

After saying goodbye to my friends I went on a tour of Gallipoli that my host family organised for me. It was fantastic, I was able to see everything that I didn't get to see on ANZAC Day. The tour guide knew a lot about the Gallipoli campaign and taught us all some new things. We went to ANZAC Cove which was really cool. We also visited some cemeteries including Beach Cemetery and Ari Brunu. We also got to see the grave of the Australian, John Simpson Kirkpatrick- the man with a donkey. We also went and saw the memorial sites again, it was very different without thousands of people around. We saw the trenches and communication tunnels which was really cool. I think that was my favourite part. I could have been standing in the exact same place that Herbert stood on 96years ago. I am glad I got to see Gallipoli again, it is a very special place and everyone should try and get there one day.




ANZAC Cove



Communication Tunnels left- ANZAC and right- Turkish




Me at North Beach- Where the Dawn Service is held.




In front of the New Zealand Memorial





ANZAC Trenches



Turkish Trenches at Chunuk Bair

No comments:

Post a Comment